- Sports News : NZRL not interested but Tonga could face World Cup champion Kangaroos in Auckland [20/02/2018 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : PNG Hunters to give 100 percent [20/02/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Five questions for: James Movick, Director-General, Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency [20/02/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Digicel first to sign up with Tui Samoa Cable [20/02/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : More awareness needed on Samoa’s ava regulations, standard [20/02/2018 - Samoa]
- News : Record insurance payout for Tonga following Cyclone Gita [20/02/2018 - Tonga]
- News : India contributes $1 million for Tonga devastated by Cyclone Gita: UN [20/02/2018 - India]
- News : NZ Defence Force flies UNICEF educational supplies to Tonga [20/02/2018 - Fiji]
- News : Commonwealth countries can count on Fiji [20/02/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Thirty exporters to feature at Pasifika [20/02/2018 - New Zealand]
- News : Samoa PM calls for Pacific efforts on emissions [20/02/2018 - New Zealand]
- News : 862 dengue cases in Fiji [20/02/2018 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The High Level Group that will make recommendations on governance of the Commonwealth Secretariat is holding its first meeting today at Marlborough House, the Commonwealth’s headquarters in London.
At their last Summit in Malta, Commonwealth heads of government directed the Secretary-General to form the Group. Today members are discussing the scope of the group's work and the areas of governance it will examine over the coming months. The process is open and the High Level Group reports to the heads.
The issue of succession of the Head of the Commonwealth is not part of the Group’s mandate.
Anote Tong chairs the High Level Group. He served as President of Kiribati from 2003 to 2016. Other members include:
*Lord Howell: Former British energy secretary
*Louise Frechette: Former United Nations deputy secretary-general
*Robert Hill: Former Australian defence minister
*Dame Billie Miller: Former deputy prime minister of Barbados
*Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Former Nigerian minister of finance
*Dr George Vella: Former foreign minister of Malta
The High Level Group operates independently of the Commonwealth Secretariat. Further members may be appointed....PACNEWS
T. +00 44 20 7747 6546
M. +00 44 75 8765 7285
Join the conversation Tweets by @commonwealthsec
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media