- News Feature : Women in Climate Change shifting the power [28/10/2020 - Samoa]
- News Feature : Pacific Island Environmental Network champions new technology for conservation and sustainable development [28/10/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Enhancing Solomon Islands’ Protected Areas through Access to Information Resources and GIS [28/10/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Now available: Training Manual for Pacific Guidelines for Healthy Living [28/10/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Japan, U.S and Australia to finance undersea cable for Palau [28/10/2020 - Palau]
- News : First virtual Pacific climate change conference commences [28/10/2020 - Samoa]
- News : 56 illegal firearms surrendered in Samoa [28/10/2020 - Samoa]
- News : Fiji to roll out national scabies programme [28/10/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Repatriation flights stopped: PNG Foreign Affairs [28/10/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Strict guidelines for Flying Fijians [28/10/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Reatau Rau resigns as PNGRFL CEO [28/10/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Fiji, India share deep and enduring ties: Fijian envoy [28/10/2020 - India]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Autonomous Bougainville Government President Ishmael Toroama has been sworn in today by Supreme Court Justice, Sir Kina Bona, in Buka.
The caretaker government will be responsible for running the government for the next 14 days.
President Toroama in his remarks said “My caretaker government comprises of myself, President Ishmael Toroama; Vice President Patrick Nisira Member for Halia; and Therese Kaetavara, Women’s representative for South Bougainville,” he said.
The allocations of Ministries and Portfolios under his Caretaker government are as follows:
1. President; and Minister responsible for:
• Planning and Inter-government Relations
• Minerals and Energy Resources
• Post Referendum and Consultations
• Finance and Treasury
• Police, Correctional Services and Justice
2. Vice President; and Minister responsible for:
• Primary Industries and Marine Resources, Agriculture and Livestock
• Economic Development
• Technical Services
• Lands, Physical Planning, Environment and Conservation
• Personnel Management and Administrative Services
3. Minister/Women’s representative; and Minister responsible for:
• Community Government
• Community Development
“This will include meetings and ongoing consultations with the Government of Papua New Guinea, key development partners and the ABG Administration, Public Service machinery and government agencies.
“My caretaker government within the 14 days will aim to implement relevant policies and directives towards the preparations of the more permanent government, considering also the financial and budgetary implications.
“I believe my caretaker government is balanced, experienced and we are prepared to deliver within the next 14 days.
“I take this opportunity to assure the honourable members and my people of Bougainville that after 14 days I will announce my full government with clear policy directives and plans.
“I will also take time to consult with each elected members, elected members regional committees, my Party Caucus, my Party Executives and other prominent Bougainvilleans so that I have the best government that can deliver the required services for the people of Bougainville.
“My caretaker government will be in operation for the next 14 days from Thursday. Therefore, I would like to assure my people of Bougainville and Papua New Guinea, that I as your mandated President am ready to take Bougainville forward, focusing on law and order, anti-corruption policies, the ratification process and improving fiscal self-reliance of Bougainville.
“On a more specific role, I take note again that my caretaker government will focus critically on the Dialogue and Consultation phase with the Government of Papua New Guinea in preparation for the Ratification process.
“In conclusion, I call on every able Bougainvillean to rally behind my caretaker government for the next 14 days until a full and permanent government is formed,” President Toroama said.
SOURCE: ABG GOVT/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media