- News : Victory [18/06/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Marape’s dream [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : PNG Fisheries minister keen on generating revenue [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Review of existing trade deal necessary, says PNG foreign secretary Age [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Seasonal workers programme huge employment opportunity: Prof [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Solomon Islands MP Ete questions vision and identity of the nation [17/06/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Bougainville Referendum will be credible: Minister [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Arms Amendment Bill for Pacific Games, Samoa Parliament assured [17/06/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Samoa Methodist Church hands over keys to Athletes Village [17/06/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Tonga trim squad to face Kiwis at Mt Smart Stadium, Michael Jennings out [17/06/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : How Pacific nations are preparing players for State of Origin [17/06/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Papua New Guinea vows to get rich in a decade [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Papua New Guinea Defence Minister Fabian Pok Wednesday announced an increase in Defence Force personnel from 2,000 to 5,000 by 2017.
Pok was speaking at a media conference at the defence headquarters in Port Moresby. He was flanked by Defence Secretary John Porti and Chief of Staff, Captain Tom Ur.
“The increase will see more than 3,000-plus new soldiers added onto the existing 2,000 service men and women in the country,” he said.
“This is part of the modernisation of the defence force.”
Pok said when relocated the Murray Barracks would transformed into a new dimension in the city.
“Murray Barracks will be relocated and once it is done the land at which the institution is now sitting on will be transformed into a city within a city of its own,” he said.
Pok said major changes would take place once the barracks were relocated.
“I am not sure where the relocation of the barracks will take place and when work will commence.
“We are searching for the right location for the barracks.”
He said the K25million approved for the relocation of the barracks was not listed in he budget but had been approved by the NEC for a payout to be done by Treasury.
“When the budget list came out the figure of the K25 million had not appeared and therefore Prime Minister Peter O’Neill was advised of such and has taken the appropriate measures to correct that error.”.
SOURCE: THE NATIONAL/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media