- News : Peaceful protest in Port Vila against Indonesia membership of MSG [29/04/2016 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : ACP Council ends with bolstered commitment to Leaderís Summit, firm stance on trade [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- News Feature : Increasing productivity is key to revive economic growth and support the 2030 Agenda in Asia-Pacific, says UN [28/04/2016 - Thailand]
- Business News : Fiji banks warn of interest rise, delays as consumers celebrate [28/04/2016 - Fiji]
- News : PNG ready to host 8th Summit of ACP Heads of State and Government [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- News : EPAs to benefit ACP members access EU markets: Gomes [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- News : ACP allocate more resources to help fight Zika virus [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- News : Appointment of MSG DG should be made by the leaders, not an individual country: Pato [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- News : Fiji PM: Great Council Of Chiefs is an undemocratic entity [28/04/2016 - Fiji]
- News : PNG Immigration to implement Court decision on Manus Island: Pato [28/04/2016 - Senegal]
- Business News : ANZ and Westpac lead PNG loan plan [27/04/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Malcolm Turnbull warns Australians against being 'misty-eyed' on immigration policy [27/04/2016 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Tokelau Ulu calls for immediate solution to ferry woes
Tokelau’s people, who are New Zealand citizens, depend entirely on the MV Tokelau for transport and supplies and the New Zealand government has been working on a replacement vessel since 2005.
Keli Kalolo said travelling on the ship, which is more than 20 years old, is especially worrisome in view of the recent sinking of a Papua New Guinea ferry and Tonga’s Princess Ashika tragedy in 2009.
“There is a fear among the leaders that we don’t want that kind of situation to happen in Tokelau, although we still need a boat. It’s good to replace this boat but we need an immediate solution to this.”
Kalolo said the council will be taking its preferred options for a replacement ferry to Tokelau’s New Zealand-based administrator later this month.
Most read Vanuatu refuses Air New Zealand's 'one off' charter flight request Tuvalu, a trust fund nation Tuvalu, a trust fund nation Japan win promotion to 2016-17 Series Peaceful protest in Port Vila against Indonesia membership of MSG Japan win promotion to 2016-17 Series Japan win promotion to 2016-17 Series Peaceful protest in Port Vila against Indonesia membership of MSG
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media