- News : President-elect of Bougainville thanks God for win [23/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : NZ quarantine ‘totally unnecessary [23/09/2020 - Cook Islands]
- News : Fiji joins global call for multilateralism at UN’s 75th anniversary [23/09/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Kina Bank yet to consider Westpac acquisition [23/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : There is confusion surrounding sale of Hawaiki cable capacity [23/09/2020 - American Samoa]
- News Feature : INTERVIEW: The top diplomat shepherding the General Assembly through its 75th year [23/09/2020 - United States]
- Business News : Advancing fisheries surveillance and enforcement cooperation [21/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Minister Masiu confirms citing of 150 PNG nationals in leaked international data base [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Mother and son elected in South South Bougainville [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : James Tanis humbly bows out from Bougainville presidential election [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : ANZ waives online international money transfer fees to Pacific [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : USP saga drags on [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens is the latest sports event to be caught in the city’s battle against the coronavirus outbreak and will likely be moved back to October.
This year’s tournament, the 45th edition, was scheduled to take place at Hong Kong Stadium from April 3-5.
Organisers had earlier said this year’s event was despite the battle against the virus, but have had to shelve the World Rugby Sevens World Series stop for six months.
The Hong Kong Rugby Union, which co-hosts the marquee tournament with World Rugby, remained tight-lipped on Wednesday night but a source told the Post an announcement would be made on Thursday by the game’s governing body, which is based in Dublin, Ireland.
HKRU chief executive Robbie McRobbie said late on Wednesday night: “We’ll make an announcement of what we intend to do tomorrow.”
It has been widely rumoured that the event would be rescheduled and October is the most likely date, according to the source.
Hong Kong Sevens must be held at whatever cost – or our city is lost
April’s event was set to be another sell-out, with 40,000 fans packing the stadium in So Kon Po each day and more than half of them coming from outside the city.
Speculation that the Sevens would not go ahead began last year in the wake of the anti-government protests, then intensified after the spread of the virus to the city.
This year’s Sevens joins a long list of sporting events that have been either cancelled or postponed because of either the protests or coronavirus.
In the past month, the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon and Longines Masters of Hong Kong showjumping event scheduled for February have been cancelled, while the Hong Kong Premier League has been on hiatus since January.
SOURCE: SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media