- News : Victory [20/09/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Kiribati switches recognition to China, Taiwan loses second Pacific ally in a week [20/09/2019 - Taiwan]
- Business News : ADB chief resigns mid-term [19/09/2019 - Philippines]
- News : ACP SG calls climate change "the most significant challenge to achieving sustainable development" at UN Meeting on on Climate Action and Trade [19/09/2019 - Switzerland]
- Business News : Commonwealth helps developing countries bank millions for climate action [19/09/2019 - United Kingdom]
- News : Kiribati Opposition claims government server diplomatic ties with Taiwan in favour of China [19/09/2019 - Kiribati]
- News : Australia says it respects Solomon Islands decision to switch to China [19/09/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Vanuatu Speaker's case adjourned [19/09/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Solomon Islands CSOs: rush to switch arrogant, undemocratic [19/09/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- Sports News : Rugby World Cup highlights 'climate injustice' [19/09/2019 - Japan]
- Sports News : Fying Fijians captain Waqaniburotu confident with side to face the Wallabies [19/09/2019 - Japan]
- Sports News : Radradra in shock Fiji switch as Cheika explains 'Pooper' return [19/09/2019 - Japan]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Papua New National Rugby League Competition (PNGNRLC) has confirmed the termination of Vitis Industries as naming Rights sponsors of Central Dabaris.
PNGNRLC Chairman Adrian Chow confirmed this in a statement following a Board meeting earlier this week.
Chow said a letter was sent to Dabaris Chairman Keith Iduhu Wednesday advising him of the PNGNRLC Board’s decision that Vitis Industries sponsorship under their brand ‘Fortuna Fresh’ is terminated with effect immediately.
“The Dabaris Board wrote to us on 09 May, 2019 advising of Vitis withdrawal of sponsorship,” Chow said. “Some of my Board members met with the Dabaris Board and their sponsor to hear each party’s views and grievances in mediation process that meeting concluded without any resolution,” he said.
He said following this meeting, there was publications on social media by Vitis in associating its alcohol brand with the franchise.
“During the bid process, PNGNRLC explained to representatives of Central Dabaris and Vitis Industries the requirements relating to product category branding exclusivity to current PNGNRLC Platinum Sponsor, and conditions relating to same were set out in the Participation Agreement,” Chow said.
He added that Vitis Industries has not signed a sponsorship agreement with Central Dabaris.
“Therefore our view is that any verbal agreement or understanding was terminated in writing by the Central Dabaris Board on 09 May, 2019,” he said. “And we will go with that decision.”
Chow said as a consequence, all branding of “Fortuna Fresh” will be removed from the playing uniforms before Round 8 is played on Sunday 26 May, 2019.
He said Vitis Industries should not hold itself out as being associated with the PNGNRLC managed Digicel Cup competition in future.
“I have requested the Dabaris Chairman to submit a report by 07 June, 2019 on any new sponsors, evidence of financial resources and liabilities and a budget in the short term.
Chow has directed PNGNRLC manager Stanley Hondina to meet with the Dabaris Management to assist with player welfare issues.
“It is our job to manage a competition that is played by 12 teams,” Chow said “
It is our job to ensure a safe and competitive environment for all teams to compete in and we will do anything within our power to ensure that happens week in week out.
“We expect the Central Dabaris to sort their in-house issue and come out in full strength and compete on Sunday and the rest of the season,” Chow said.
He urged all franchises and their sponsors to settle any disagreements internally.
“Any disagreements and differences must be sorted out internally. When it gets out in public, this brings the game and competition into dispute, said Chow.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media