- Sports News : Pools confirmed for Womens Rugby World Cup 2021 [20/11/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Fijians selected for employment opportunities under the Australian Pacific Labour scheme [20/11/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : How to craft a strong WTO deal on fishing subsidies [20/11/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : Public concern as Covid-19 uncertainty hits Samoa [20/11/2020 - Samoa]
- News : Climate crisis: ‘Nowhere near the finish line’ – UN chief [20/11/2020 - United States]
- News : Future of an entire generation at risk, as COVID-19 pandemic drags on [20/11/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : Samoa suspected positive COVID19 swap samples heading to NZ [20/11/2020 - Samoa]
- News : PNG political instability must not dissuade ABG Government in the Post Referendum consultations: President Toroama [20/11/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Fiji AG on ‘bomb’ probe – ‘Let due process take its course’ [20/11/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Munster smash: Cameron inspires upset win over Blues 20 -14 to clinch State of Origin series [19/11/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Fiji Rugby Union accepts ‘harsh’ decision [19/11/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Groundbreaking study examines cost-benefit of workplace responses to gender-based violence in PNG [19/11/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fijian players and staff involved with Barbarians rugby team will join the rest of the national squad later today, despite a coronavirus scare.
The Baabaas match against England in London on Sunday was cancelled after several players left their hotel rooms without permission last week, breaching strict Covid-19 protocols.
Fiji internationals Tevita Ikanivere, Haereiti Hetet, Samu Tawake, Rusiate Nasove, Manueli Ratuniyarawa, Simione Kuruvoli and Serupepeli Vularika were in the Baabaas side, which was being coached by Flying Fijians mentor Vern Cotter and assistant coach Glen Jackson, although the FRU said none of their players breached the quarantine protocols.
FRU Chief Executive, John O'Connor, said they were really disappointed the match had been called off.
"However of priority to us is the safety and welfare of our players".
The seven Fijian players will fly to France on Monday to join up with the rest of the national squad, which kicks off its Northern Tour against Portugal next weekend before taking part in the Autumn Nations Cup.
“We are awaiting official report from the Barbarians but looking forward to the boys flying to France to join other players for our preparation camp on Monday," O'Connor explained.
“That is our focus now and the incident has really brought home to everyone involved in the tour that we need to ensure strict compliance to the Covid 19 protocol and that we can not take anything for granted.”.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media