- Sports News : Pacific Games athletes to stay in hotels, Total athlete numbers still unconfirmed [22/10/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : IFC to issue Papua New Guinea’s first AAA-rated domestic bond to deepen financial markets [22/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : PNGDF denies plans of Naval base [22/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : 100 Samoan Seasonal workers get their chance to work in NZ [22/10/2018 - Samoa]
- News : Japan may consider visa waiver for Pacific Island nations [22/10/2018 - Japan]
- News : Winston Peters cautious about taking refugees from Nauru in light of possible law [22/10/2018 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Maohi support for Kanak independence struggle [22/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News Feature : Chinese whispers and Pacific agency [22/10/2018 - Australia]
- Business News : PNG taken to task on trade investment [22/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Air Niugini defers Shangai-direct fight [22/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Samoa Government debt currently sits at $1.1 billion [22/10/2018 - Samoa]
- News : Solomon Islands Police yet to destroy cocaine [22/10/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media