- News : Indonesia will never allow West Papua referendum, Expert [26/05/2016 - Indonesia]
- News Feature : Many UN members fall short in follow-through on fisheries commitments [26/05/2016 - United States]
- News Feature : Further private sector reforms will secure Solomonís growth [26/05/2016 - Australia]
- Business News : Guam Governor Calvos may profit in dying tuna industry [26/05/2016 - Guam]
- News : Tahiti says Forum bid on good track [26/05/2016 - French Polynesia]
- News : MSG chair denies claims of lack of commitment [26/05/2016 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : U.S. should not promote consumption of highly depleted Pacific Bluefin: PEW [26/05/2016 - United States]
- Business News : Cook Islands' Air Rarotonga to add a Cessna Citation [26/05/2016 - Cook Islands]
- News : Palau reiterates stance on illegal fishing, burns another boat [26/05/2016 - Palau]
- News : Moves to remove Indonesia from MSG [26/05/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Cooler Pacific temperatures signal end of devastating El Nino [26/05/2016 - Australia]
- Sports News : Fijian weightlifter Vaivai snatches gold [26/05/2016 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji West Papua report given to Ban ki Moon at Humanitarian Summit British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji Moves to remove Indonesia from MSG West Papua report given to Ban ki Moon at Humanitarian Summit Indonesia will never allow West Papua referendum, Expert
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media