- Sports News : Matai Akauola ’s diary from Rio [28/07/2016 - Brazil]
- Sports News : Fiji’s NOC attache in Rio is ‘half English, half Fijian’ [28/07/2016 - Brazil]
- News Feature : Celebrations as first ever Clean Pacific Roundtable comes to a close [28/07/2016 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji’s Digital TV ‘Walesi’ goes on air on Monday [28/07/2016 - Fiji]
- News : PM Turnbull dashes Rudd's hopes of UN's top job [28/07/2016 - Australia]
- News : Fiji PM: Stop the ‘trolls’ on social media [28/07/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Solomon Islands Government defends Taiwan trip [28/07/2016 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Biosecurity detains Pacific Community Pineapple and Tissue Cultures [28/07/2016 - Fiji]
- News Feature : ACP Group keen to secure robust multilateral rules on fisheries subsidies [28/07/2016 - Belgium]
- Business News : Munda airport upgraded to international standard [28/07/2016 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Usamate: NCDs a major threat in Fiji [28/07/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Former PNG Defence Force Commander enter politics [28/07/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read Kiribati Secretary to Cabinet resigns to head new Green Climate Fund office in Fiji PNA criticised “the arrogant and patronising tone” of latest ADB economic report on fisheries PM Turnbull dashes Rudd's hopes of UN's top job Pacific researchers challenged to be useful Palau repeals visa law before it takes effect Fiji PM: Stop the ‘trolls’ on social media Who Are The Aspirants For 2016 Palau General Elections ACP Group keen to secure robust multilateral rules on fisheries subsidies
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media