- Sports News : Biggest Pacific Games team ever for Cook Islands [18/04/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News Feature : Follow the money: how foreign aid spending tells of Pacific priorities [18/04/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Cook Islands Finance Minister rejects more cash for Agriculture [18/04/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News : Vanuatu Police chief sacked [18/04/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Nauru former president regrets signing offshore processing deal with Julia Gillard [18/04/2019 - Australia]
- News : Prince William to visit Christchurch terror attack survivors next week [18/04/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Captains set for HSBC Kitakyushu Sevens in Japan [18/04/2019 - Japan]
- Sports News : Draw for U-16 & U-19 Women's championships complete [18/04/2019 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Stress, overtime, disease, contribute to 2.8 million workers’ deaths per year, reports UN labour agency [18/04/2019 - Switzerland]
- Business News : Fijian government commences national minimum wage and wages regulation review [18/04/2019 - Fiji]
- News : PNG PM O’Neill accepts resignation of Attorney General Davis Stevens [18/04/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Wale and Sogavare the two candidates confirmed for Solomon Islands prime ministerial election [18/04/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media