- News : Sitiveni Rabuka is new SOLDEPA party leader [23/06/2016 - Fiji]
- Business News : Aust, NZ commit to trade conditions, Abandon PACER Plus NGO pleads [23/06/2016 - Fiji]
- News : New Vanuatu police commissioner expected to be named next week [23/06/2016 - Vanuatu]
- News : Preparations on track for PIDF Summit in Honiara [23/06/2016 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Samoa deputy Speaker cautions about aid [23/06/2016 - Samoa]
- News : $10m upgrade for Fiji Prime Ministers office [23/06/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Small Island States Leaders gather In Palau for Inaugural Meeting [23/06/2016 - Palau]
- News : Students clash with security [23/06/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : UN Human Rights Council highlights West Papua [23/06/2016 - Switzerland]
- News : UN and Jakarta focus on Papua rights abuses [23/06/2016 - Switzerland]
- Sports News : Rio incentive for Fijian athletes [22/06/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Parts of PNG facing food shortage [22/06/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji British army recruitment re-opened in Fiji Sitiveni Rabuka is new SOLDEPA party leader An inclusive budget: Fijian PM Preparations on track for PIDF Summit in Honiara Parts of PNG facing food shortage Preparations on track for PIDF Summit in Honiara Pacific Islands pushing for shark and ray conservation
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media