- News Feature : National Minimum Development Indicators regional data base extended to include French territories [07/02/2016 - New Caledonia]
- Business News : OK Tedi to resume operation in March [07/02/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : France guarantees New Caledonia nickel industry [07/02/2016 - New Caledonia]
- News : Nominations for Samoa general elections open today as Opposition secures 79 candidates [07/02/2016 - Samoa]
- News : Australia pledges aid to help Tonga with Zika virus [07/02/2016 - Australia]
- News : Kiribati seeks change in next presidential elections [07/02/2016 - Kiribati]
- News : Seasonal Worker Programme expanded to take more Pacific Islander and East Timorese workers [07/02/2016 - Australia]
- News : FFA seeks solutions to American withdrawal [07/02/2016 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Fiji NGOs initiate Code of Minimum Standards [07/02/2016 - Fiji]
- Business News : Workers have freedom of association: Fiji AG [07/02/2016 - Fiji]
- News : No zika virus recorded in Vanuatu [07/02/2016 - Vanuatu]
- News : Multi government ministry approach to clearing potential Zika Virus carrying mosquito breeding sites [07/02/2016 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read Vanuatu MPs held on island to control movement 25 suspected cases of zika recorded in American Samoa Kiribati Parliament elects news Speaker and candidates for the Presidential election next mont Fisheries group chief: US fishing treaty a ‘distraction’ Vanuatu MPs held on island to control movement Kiribati Parliament elects news Speaker and candidates for the Presidential election next mont Kiribati MPs select former president as new speaker Vanuatu MPs held on island to control movement
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media