- News : Canning the Pacific tuna story [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : PNA members voice concerns over fishing management [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Consensus on Tuna reduction is needed: Fijian Minister [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Fiji UNGA President Peter Thomsonís neutrality in question [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : UN Special Rapporteur to investigate racism in Fiji [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : For real progress, deal with Southern Albacore, risk levels for all tuna species, says Solomons [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : PNG signs tuna Treaty with US, hopes cordial relationship continues under Trump [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific nations to push for safer work for Pacific tuna observers [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Fiji raises concerns over low tuna stocks [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Amnesty International report selective, biased, says Fiji AG [05/12/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Bishop, Wong tour Pacific nations together [05/12/2016 - Australia]
- News Feature : Wetlands strengthening island resilience through renewed partnerships with SPREP [05/12/2016 - Mexico]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read PNA calls for Deep sea mining standard WCPFC13: Don't forget Article 30- Tuvalu reminds Tuna Commission of 'disproportionate burden' for SIDS Vanuatu payment made to Cook Islands for Illegal fishing Pacific CSO commemorate West Papua flag raising ceremony in Kenya Las Vegas to stage third round of World Rugby Women's Sevens Series Thirteen vying for next Kiribati House Speaker Pacific and Global fishing powers to tackle declining Tuna stocks SPTO launches Niue fishing holiday incentive
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media