- Business News : MSG Trade Agreement to break new ground [01:52 am GMT+12, 28/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill may review Australian food import ban amid drought [8:26 pm GMT+12, 27/08/2015 - Australia]
- Business News : ANZ supports 3rd PIDF Summit [5:01 pm GMT+12, 27/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Royal coronation spiked Tonga's visitor arrivals [4:58 pm GMT+12, 27/08/2015 - Tonga]
- Business News : MSG finalise development strategy, discuss private sector policies [4:54 pm GMT+12, 27/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Trade barriers hinder growth says Samoa Association of Manufacturers and Exporters [11:36 pm GMT+12, 26/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Bank South Pacific Group records gains [11:32 pm GMT+12, 26/08/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : ADB president to visit Fiji [11:30 pm GMT+12, 26/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji's ATH positioned well, shareholders told [8:31 pm GMT+12, 26/08/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Bank of PNG gives nation comfort amid fears [5:07 pm GMT+12, 26/08/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Clive Palmer in tax row with Noumea [11:31 pm GMT+12, 25/08/2015 - Australia]
- Business News : Tongan tourism seeks to promote culture and heritage [11:28 pm GMT+12, 25/08/2015 - Tonga]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General AssemblyFiji’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Peter Thomson has been elected to serve as a vice-president for the 66th session of the UN General Assembly.
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
There are no related media to this article.
Most read ADB stands ready to support Pacific Regionalism key priorities: President Nakao MSG Trade Agreement to break new ground How to annoy the neighbours PNG population hits 8 million MSG Trade Agreement to break new ground ADB President pledges expanded support for Fiji and Pacific Islands MSG finalise development strategy, discuss private sector policies PNG will clean up its act, O’Neill tells investors
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media