- News Feature : Mayors matter for Asia's future livable cities [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News Feature : Solomon Islands civil society supports anti corruption efforts [03/05/2016 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Fiji to chair ADB top regional meeting [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- Business News : Fiji Hotel and Tourism Association want new taxes gone [03/05/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Tuvalu determined to get national implementing entity accreditation to access climate finances [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News : Tuvalu earmarked for a major outer island infrastructure project funded by the ADB [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News : Smart City is the city of the future, Mayors share at the ADB conference [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News : ADB, Germany join forces on Climate action, technical and vocational education and training [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News : Mexican ambassador selected as next UN climate chief [03/05/2016 - Germany]
- News : World Press Freedom Day celebrated by Fiji mainstream media organisations [03/05/2016 - Fiji]
- News : Polye steps down as PNG opposition leader [03/05/2016 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Fijian Tourism Expo gets underway [02/05/2016 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read Japan win promotion to 2016-17 Series Fiji’s Green Climate Fund grant, a precedent for other climate vulnerable nations – ADB expert Solomon Islands Minister resigns Japan win promotion to 2016-17 Series Fisheries, Sugar top ACP – EU talks Peaceful protest in Port Vila against Indonesia membership of MSG Fiji’s Green Climate Fund grant, a precedent for other climate vulnerable nations – ADB expert Tuvalu, a trust fund nation
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media