- Business News : FSM taps on technology for full tuna transparency by 2023 [13/12/2018 - United States]
- News : State of play at Tuna Commission negotiations hard to predict [13/12/2018 - United States]
- News : Pacific nations under climate threat urge Australia to abandon coal within 12 years [13/12/2018 - Poland]
- News : Labour standards push hopes for thumbs up from Tuna Commission [13/12/2018 - United States]
- Technology : Google and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific host Asia-Pacific AI for Social Good Summit [13/12/2018 - Australia]
- News Feature : High seas tuna transshipments targeted for action [13/12/2018 - United States]
- News : Japan joins Pacific to oppose U.S proposals to increase its bigeye tuna quota [13/12/2018 - United States]
- Business News : New research reveals the secret life of FADs [13/12/2018 - United States]
- Business News : ATH receives approvals for BlueSky deal [13/12/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : Debt management and investement planning critical for Pacific- ADB [13/12/2018 - Philippines]
- News : Fiji steps up the pressure for the adoption of a target reference point on South Pacific Albacore [13/12/2018 - United States]
- News : PM Bainimarama launches Fijiís first National Adaptation Plan [13/12/2018 - Poland]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media