- News : 10 former Vanuatu MPs free on parole [27/04/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Pacific Islands Forum to Observe the 2017 Niue Election [27/04/2017 - Niue]
- News : Trade guide shines light on bad deal: PANG [27/04/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Big gains for Pacific countries in PACER Plus - Kessie [27/04/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Fekita thanks Pacific support as she prepares to take up her UN role [27/04/2017 - Tonga]
- News : Biman 'removed' as shadow minister for Economy [27/04/2017 - Fiji]
- News : 2614 candidates to contest PNG election [27/04/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Kiribati Environment Minister abused power: Anti-Corruption Committee [27/04/2017 - Kiribati]
- News : Dengue fever outbreak in Nauru hits 10 per cent of asylum seekers [27/04/2017 - Nauru]
- News : New Caledonia's Gomes backs Macron, Temaru hails low voter turnout in Tahiti [27/04/2017 - New Caledonia]
- News : Samoa tops Pacific in press freedom index [26/04/2017 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Olympic gold-winning coach Ben Ryan joins board of Pacific Rugby Players Welfare [26/04/2017 - United Kingdom]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Fiji elected Vice president of UN General Assembly
The 66th session begins on September 13 and will run for a year.
Ambassador Thomson expressed deep gratitude for the confidence shown by the General Assembly in entrusting this role to Fiji at the United Nations.
He also gave every assurance that Fiji would perform the role with diligence and all due propriety.
The UN General Assembly has an elected President, supported by 21 elected vice-presidents. The President of the 66th Session will be Nassir Al-Nasser of the State of Qatar.
As a vice-president, Fiji’s Permanent Representative will be required from time to time to preside over deliberations of the General Assembly, when the President is not available.
In addition, vice-presidents are members of the UN’s general committee. This committee is chaired by the President of the General Assembly and deals with procedural and organisational matters of the assembly’s session….PNS (ENDS)
Most read Marshall Islands pushing for less dependent on fossil fuel Marshall Islands pushing for less dependent on fossil fuel Pacific Islands Forum to Observe the 2017 Niue Election A shared vision for green growth in Fiji: 100% renewable electricity and sustainable biofuels Fiji Health Ministry records 913 dengue cases Samoa tops Pacific in press freedom index Marshall Islands pushing for less dependent on fossil fuel Fiji to take its PACER Plus concerns to Australian PM
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media