- Sports News : $19million earned through hosting of 2019 Super Rugby match in Fiji [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : $276m withdrawn from FNPF post TC Winston: Fiji AG [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji Airways will make operational changes [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : No new cases of Covid-19, nobody in NZ hospital with the coronavirus [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : New Zealand deputy PM breaks ranks to urge Ardern to lift Covid-19 lockdown [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Exercise boosts COVID-19 preparedness and response in Solomon Islands [27/05/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Samoa second stimulus falls short: Luagalau Afualo Dr. Salele [27/05/2020 - Samoa]
- News Feature : China’s COVID-19 Pacific diplomacy [27/05/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : How to Reduce Plastic and Other Ocean Pollution Simultaneously [27/05/2020 - United States]
- Business News : Air Niugini’s first father-son captains [27/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Foreign fishing boats emerge as a new point of Covid-19 transmission in the Pacific [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Vanuatu Court orders recounting of votes for Torres constituency [27/05/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The 2020 Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships scheduled for the 27th of May to the 6th of June has been cancelled after consultation with Rugby Australia over the last month.
Extended travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to numerous countries, and concerns over adequate player preparation time, mean that any sort of cross-border international rugby competition cannot be hosted in the next few months.
In a statement last week World Rugby said all decision-making will be entirely contingent on national government travel, quarantine and health advice.
“All parties, including member unions, international competitions, professional club competitions and International Rugby Players, will be involved in the evaluation of potential contingency options with a view to achieving an aligned calendar for the remainder of the year,” it said.
Monitoring of the potential impact on the remaining 2020 international windows continues in collaboration with international rugby stakeholders and the respective authorities.
The Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships was scheduled to be hosted at Bond University in Queensland Australia with New Zealand, Fiji, Japan and host-nation Australia competing for the regional title.
World Rugby has also announced the cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championships that was to be hosted in Italy for July this year.
SOURCE: OCEANIA RUGBY/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media