- News Feature : Joint statement from the USP Academic and USP Staff Union on the cessation of Fiji's funding towards USP [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Why are there unexploded bombs in the Pacific islands? [25/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Sports News : Tonga Rugby Union in danger of being relegated to World Rugby tier three [25/09/2020 - Tonga]
- News : Bougainville President elect Toroama sworn in [25/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Vanuatu Pacer Plus ratification imminent [25/09/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News : We mus feel the international solidarity against climate change- PM Bainimarama [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : At UN, island nation of Palau speaks to interconnected world [25/09/2020 - Palau]
- News : UN chief and UK premier announce December climate summit [25/09/2020 - United States]
- News : If world handles climate like COVID-19, UN chief says: 'I fear the worst' [25/09/2020 - United States]
- News : Fiji Government says USP issue is not to be resolved via the media [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Land and Titles Court opponents “not Samoan”: PM Tuilaepa [25/09/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Westpac bank to pay record Australian fine over laundering breaches [24/09/2020 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The 2020 Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships scheduled for the 27th of May to the 6th of June has been cancelled after consultation with Rugby Australia over the last month.
Extended travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to numerous countries, and concerns over adequate player preparation time, mean that any sort of cross-border international rugby competition cannot be hosted in the next few months.
In a statement last week World Rugby said all decision-making will be entirely contingent on national government travel, quarantine and health advice.
“All parties, including member unions, international competitions, professional club competitions and International Rugby Players, will be involved in the evaluation of potential contingency options with a view to achieving an aligned calendar for the remainder of the year,” it said.
Monitoring of the potential impact on the remaining 2020 international windows continues in collaboration with international rugby stakeholders and the respective authorities.
The Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships was scheduled to be hosted at Bond University in Queensland Australia with New Zealand, Fiji, Japan and host-nation Australia competing for the regional title.
World Rugby has also announced the cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championships that was to be hosted in Italy for July this year.
SOURCE: OCEANIA RUGBY/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media