- Sports News : $19million earned through hosting of 2019 Super Rugby match in Fiji [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : $276m withdrawn from FNPF post TC Winston: Fiji AG [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji Airways will make operational changes [27/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : No new cases of Covid-19, nobody in NZ hospital with the coronavirus [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : New Zealand deputy PM breaks ranks to urge Ardern to lift Covid-19 lockdown [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Exercise boosts COVID-19 preparedness and response in Solomon Islands [27/05/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Samoa second stimulus falls short: Luagalau Afualo Dr. Salele [27/05/2020 - Samoa]
- News Feature : China’s COVID-19 Pacific diplomacy [27/05/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : How to Reduce Plastic and Other Ocean Pollution Simultaneously [27/05/2020 - United States]
- Business News : Air Niugini’s first father-son captains [27/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Foreign fishing boats emerge as a new point of Covid-19 transmission in the Pacific [27/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Vanuatu Court orders recounting of votes for Torres constituency [27/05/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Kiribati Parliament has made history today with MPs voting in the country's first female Speaker of Parliament, former Opposition member Tangariki Reete.
The TKP party of caretaker President Taneti Maamau supported former House Speaker, Tebuai Uaai, for another term.
Reete is a former Minister of Women, Youth and Social Affairs and had entered politics in 2008, in the footsteps of her father.
She narrowly missed out on the Betio seat in the latest elections, (the Speaker of the House does not need to be a Member of Parliament).
All 44 MPs took their oaths today in Tarawa, with indications of an even number of MPs on each side of the House this morning.
MPs are finalising nominations for the Presidential vote today.
A vote on the top position will happen on 22 June.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media