- News : Preliminary figures show 40,000 people already vaccinated [06/12/2019 - Samoa]
- News : Bougainville referendum ballot boxes ready for scrutiny before counting starts [06/12/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : CSO contribution towards regional fisheries vital: FFA [06/12/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : WWF, Pacific-based CSOs outline priority tuna fisheries issues [06/12/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : ‘If you don’t transition from coal, are you really part of the Pacific?’ Ex-Tuvalu PM Sopoaga asks at COP25 [06/12/2019 - Spain]
- Voices : RNZAF brings Chrismas cheer in Guam [06/12/2019 - New Zealand]
- Voices : Give Fijian women and girls the gift of ‘getting back to school’ [06/12/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Israel Folau payout in Rugby Australia stoush reportedly $8 million [06/12/2019 - Australia]
- Sports News : Table tennis tournaments postponed [05/12/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Thrilling start to historic Futsal tournament [05/12/2019 - New Zealand]
- News : Ballot boxes returned safely and securely to Bougainville [05/12/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Migrant families write songs of home and hope [05/12/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The OFC U-16 Women’s Championship scheduled to take place in Tahiti in December 2019 has been postponed till next year by the OFC Executive Committee due to the measles epidemic in our region.
OFC Executive Members and the entire OFC administration are determined to put health and safety first and despite the considerable financial and logistical impacts associated with the postponement, the Executive Committee’s decision was made in the best interest of our Pacific population.
The decision was made following new advice provided by health authorities in Tahiti regarding the risks associated with the spreading of the measles virus across the Pacific, and recommendations to cancel travel to French Polynesia in case of a person’s vaccination status is not known.
The postponement will allow all participating teams and officials to meet the recommendations of the Tahitian health authorities.
The OFC General Secretariat and Fédération Tahitienne de Football will work together to secure a suitable date for hosting the OFC U-16 Women’s Championship in 2020.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media