- News Feature : Fishing for success: lessons in Pacific regionalism [12/08/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : Cook Islands uphold regional maritime security via 17th annual Forum Fisheries Committee Ministers Meeting [12/08/2020 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : Seilala Mapusua appointed Manu Samoa head coach [12/08/2020 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Brian Lima appointed Manu Samoa 7s head coach [12/08/2020 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Understanding Pasifika culture pivotal for rugby league success [12/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Australia pours cold water on an early travel bubble but tourists keen [12/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji Airways extends cancellation of scheduled flights to end of September [12/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Huawei data centre built to spy on PNG [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Collins calls for NZ election to be pushed back to late November or 2021 [12/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Wearing masks mandatory in Port Moresby [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Bougainville's youth pursue break from bloody past at presidential vote [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Pandemic ‘inflicting multiple shocks’ on the young, threatens entire generation [12/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
A 66-year-old man is the first COVID-19 related death in Fiji.
The man died at the Lautoka Hospital Thursday, where he was in isolation.
He was the Fiji’s first border quarantine case of COVID-19.
The man had returned to Fiji from India after receiving surgical treatment for long standing cardiac condition.
Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete says despite the best efforts of our health care professionals the man passed away due to complications from COVID-19.
Dr Waqainabete says the Ministry has expressed its condolences directly to the man’s family who they have been in contact with since his diagnosis.
The Minister stressed that it is important to note that the deceased contracted the virus while in India which is in the midst of large scale outbreak of COVID-19.
SOURCE: FBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media