- News Feature : Push for Pacific coalition on climate displacement [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fij unions walkout [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- News : Vanuatu President asks US for military base [21/06/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News : Eight EU countries signal openness to increased Paris climate pledge [21/06/2018 - Belgium]
- Sports News : Chile sevens seek inspiration in Fiji [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : China’s Pacific presence improves Australian aid [21/06/2018 - Australia]
- News Feature : Our Oceania: ‘Part of being there for your kids is being healthy' [21/06/2018 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- Business News : Samoa Parliament passes budget [21/06/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : North Pacific working towards stronger Public financial Management [21/06/2018 - Micronesia, Federated States of]
- News : Powerful 6.1-magnitude quake strikes Vanuatu [21/06/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News : PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill meets with Xi Jinping; praises China's Belt and Road initiative [21/06/2018 - China]
- News : Tonga’s cyclone Gita recovery receives significant boost [21/06/2018 - Tonga]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - New Caledonia
A French overseas territory in the Pacific, New Caledonia has seen deep divisions between its indigenous and European populations, notably over the thorny question of independence.
But as the European population burgeoned, tensions - often over the loss of land - rose between the incomers and the indigenous Melanesians, known as Kanaks. A Kanak revolt in 1878 claimed more than 1,000 lives and heralded further repression by the French rulers.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: New Caledonia Population: 230,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Noumea Area: 18,575 sq km Major languages: French (official), Melanesian and Polynesian dialects Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: Pacific franc Main exports: Nickel, prawns
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media