- Sports News : Solomon Islands 2023 Pacific Games – PGC Visit to Honiara [22/02/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : The Belt and Road to nowhere: China’s incoherent aid in Papua New Guinea [22/02/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Cook Islands airspace earns $300k annually [22/02/2018 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : SPTO and Fiji Airways partner to bring member countries to LA Travel & Adventure Show [22/02/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : Solomon Islands companies move head on support for Women in Business [22/02/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Barnaby Joyce quits as Australian deputy prime minister and National party leader [22/02/2018 - Australia]
- News : Drought hit atolls to receive help [22/02/2018 - Marshall Islands]
- News : No tax, duty on food and building materials from overseas, says Tonga Revenue Minister [22/02/2018 - Tonga]
- Sports News : Fiji 7s players contracted until the World Cup in July, Baber wants to prepare two squads [22/02/2018 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Manu Samoa Sevens for Vegas and Vancouver named [22/02/2018 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Gold Coast 2018 rugby sevens schedule released [22/02/2018 - Australia]
- News Feature : Why is tiny Nauru getting $26.9m in climate finance to build a port? [22/02/2018 - Nauru]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Cook Islands
A former British protectorate, the territory is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand.
Its economy centres on tourism; the territory's natural assets include fine beaches and volcanic mountains.
More than twice as many native Cook Islanders live in New Zealand than live in the islands themselves. Most of them have left in search of a brighter economic future. As New Zealand citizens they can also live in Australia.
The government has encouraged islanders to return. Businesses have been involved in the drive. But the population level has continued to fall.
Black pearls are the chief export. Agriculture, the sale of fishing licences to foreign fleets and offshore finance are also key revenue earners.
The Cook Islands are prone to tropical storms; Hurricane Martin devastated the northern islands in 1997 causing substantial losses for the black pearl industry.
Named after Captain Cook, who explored them in 1773, the islands were once autonomous, home to tribes of mixed Polynesian ancestry. Governments still seek advice on matters of culture, custom and land ownership from a council of hereditary leaders known as the House of Ariki.
Additional information Full name: Cook Islands Population: 18,000 (UN, 2004) Capital: Avarua, on Rarotonga Area: 237 sq km (91 sq miles) Major languages: English and Cook Islands Maori Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 New Zealand dollar ($NZ) = 100 cents Main exports: Black pearls
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media