- News : . [16/08/2019 - Kiribati]
- Business News : South Pacific Tourism Organisation welcomes Tokelau into the SPTO family [15/08/2019 - Tokelau]
- News : Fiji PM calls for urgent need for the world to step up its response to climate threat [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : Vanuatu did not endorse Tuvalu declaration on climate change and survival of Smaller Island States [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : Forum marathon reveals tensions over climate policy [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : China sides with Pacific islands on climate [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : Australia puts economy over climate: Tuvalu [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- Sports News : Flying Fijians squad for 2019 Rugby World Cup named [15/08/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : New Manu Samoa players included, some opt out ahead of World Cup [15/08/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Tonga in good shape for World Cup [15/08/2019 - Tonga]
- News : Pacific leaders call for human rights action by Indonesia [15/08/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News Feature : China and allies challenge UN chief’s climate vision [15/08/2019 - Brazil]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media