- News Feature : Push for Pacific coalition on climate displacement [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fij unions walkout [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- News : Vanuatu President asks US for military base [21/06/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News : Eight EU countries signal openness to increased Paris climate pledge [21/06/2018 - Belgium]
- Sports News : Chile sevens seek inspiration in Fiji [21/06/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : China’s Pacific presence improves Australian aid [21/06/2018 - Australia]
- News Feature : Our Oceania: ‘Part of being there for your kids is being healthy' [21/06/2018 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- Business News : Samoa Parliament passes budget [21/06/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : North Pacific working towards stronger Public financial Management [21/06/2018 - Micronesia, Federated States of]
- News : Powerful 6.1-magnitude quake strikes Vanuatu [21/06/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News : PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill meets with Xi Jinping; praises China's Belt and Road initiative [21/06/2018 - China]
- News : Tonga’s cyclone Gita recovery receives significant boost [21/06/2018 - Tonga]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media