- Business News : A new airline is in the making [10:48 pm GMT+12, 30/07/2015 - Samoa]
- Business News : PNG Parliament agree to Sovereign Wealth Fund [5:36 pm GMT+12, 30/07/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : American Samoa Chamber of Commerce the New Member of PIPSO [00:12 am GMT+12, 30/07/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Farmers trained on chocolate production [00:08 am GMT+12, 30/07/2015 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Samoan Minister confirms new telcom competitor [00:50 am GMT+12, 29/07/2015 - Samoa]
- Business News : Hawaii’s longline fishermen on course to hit bigeye limit [00:47 am GMT+12, 29/07/2015 - United States]
- Business News : Fiji backs MRDC hotel project [00:45 am GMT+12, 29/07/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Crown Prince opens BSP bank operations in Tonga [00:20 am GMT+12, 29/07/2015 - Tonga]
- Business News : FNPF to spend $25m buying Fiji missions [00:00 am GMT+12, 29/07/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Cook Islands Mineral claim rich Clarion-Clipperton Zone [11:58 pm GMT+12, 28/07/2015 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : PNG Anti-corruption gets registered [11:55 pm GMT+12, 28/07/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : BSP bid to purchase Westpac Vanuatu Ltd rejected [11:26 pm GMT+12, 27/07/2015 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Nauru is expected to hold elections within weeks after the Speaker, Ludwig Scotty, read out a letter of dissolution in Parliament today.
It comes as the government has for weeks been handicapped by the loss of half its cabinet and the splitting of Parliament into several factions.
Last month, Nauru was to have begun hearing applications for refugee status from the hundreds of asylum seekers detained by Canberra, but that has not happened.
An election had been scheduled for the middle of the year but an opposition MP Baron Waqa said the people will welcome the chance to have their say earlier.
“The Government is dysfunctional and now the Parliament as well is playing up, so nothing can move on as far as Government work is concerned and Parliament’s work is concerned. Yes so an early election is part of this arrangement now.”
The letter of dissolution is expected to be acted on next Friday when the Speaker should set a date for the poll.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media