- Business News : ExxonMobil 'concerned' PNG landowners missing out on LNG benefits [10:25 pm GMT+12, 12/10/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : New UN budget proposal shows commitment to ‘strict financial management,’ says Ban [7:54 pm GMT+12, 12/10/2015 - United States]
- Business News : Focus on priorities can turn PNG ratings around, downgrade due to economic imbalances [7:51 pm GMT+12, 12/10/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Sir Julius demands greater benefits from mining for people [7:49 pm GMT+12, 12/10/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : PNG S&P rating takes tumble [4:33 pm GMT+12, 12/10/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : World Bank pledges $29bn green aid PER [10:39 pm GMT+12, 11/10/2015 - Peru]
- Business News : PNG chiefs talk of civil war over unpopular Australian bank deal [4:47 pm GMT+12, 11/10/2015 - Fiji]
- Business News : Air Tahiti to sell six ATR 72-500s [4:44 pm GMT+12, 11/10/2015 - French Polynesia]
- Business News : Tahiti hosts Council of Ministers of Tourism meeting [4:41 pm GMT+12, 11/10/2015 - French Polynesia]
- Business News : PNG-EU yellow card success a Pacific inspiration, says FFA [9:40 pm GMT+12, 08/10/2015 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Korean fishing venture in hot water [9:35 pm GMT+12, 08/10/2015 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : PNG gets tough on U.S Treaty [4:49 pm GMT+12, 08/10/2015 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Nauru is expected to hold elections within weeks after the Speaker, Ludwig Scotty, read out a letter of dissolution in Parliament today.
It comes as the government has for weeks been handicapped by the loss of half its cabinet and the splitting of Parliament into several factions.
Last month, Nauru was to have begun hearing applications for refugee status from the hundreds of asylum seekers detained by Canberra, but that has not happened.
An election had been scheduled for the middle of the year but an opposition MP Baron Waqa said the people will welcome the chance to have their say earlier.
“The Government is dysfunctional and now the Parliament as well is playing up, so nothing can move on as far as Government work is concerned and Parliament’s work is concerned. Yes so an early election is part of this arrangement now.”
The letter of dissolution is expected to be acted on next Friday when the Speaker should set a date for the poll.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media