- Sports News : Fiji and Samoa join World Rugby Council meeting in Dublin [23/05/2019 - United Kingdom]
- Sports News : Athletics PNG names Samoa Pacific Games Squad [23/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : U.S assures FSM, Marshall Islands and Palau it will defend them against outside threats [23/05/2019 - United States]
- News : Work on Niue’s new parliament stalled over land lease issues and court injunction by Opposition MP [23/05/2019 - Niue]
- News : Fiji and EU committed to strengthening relations [23/05/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Tourism on the rise in Papua New Guinea [23/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : President says Marshall Islands facing pressure from China [23/05/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : Cook Islands and New Zealand to hold 7th Joint Ministerial Forum in Aitutaki [23/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : PNG to support Solomon Islands bid for 2023 Pacific Games [22/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Fiji's World Cup preparations dealt a blow as coach cut from staff [22/05/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Development of women in rugby is the single greatest opportunity for our sport to grow in the next decade' [22/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Trump meets Pacific islands leaders to boost U.S ties [22/05/2019 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neill Tuesday welcomed the Chair of the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG) and Spokesperson of the FLNKS, and Co-Chair of the Special MSG Leaders Summit, Victor Tutugoro during his courtesy call in Port Moresby.
PM O’Neill on behalf of the Government and People of Papua New Guinea said I am greatly honoured by your visit and warmly welcome you to PNG on this occasion of the Special Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG) Leaders Summit.
“The Special MSG Leaders Summit which will be held on the 26 June, 2014, will also discuss the outcomes of MSG’s Special Mission to Indonesia led by the Foreign Minister of Fiji, Ratu Inoke Kubuabola, MSG’s candidatures for the post of the Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, and the future of MSG following its 25 years Silver Jubilee,” Prime Minister O’Neill said..
He said Tutugoro was elected at the Assembly of the Northern Province since 2005, and has been the 2nd Vice-President during 2005 – 2009 Mandate. He is also currently the second vice-president of the Northern Province under this mandate (2009 – 2014), and in charge of “Health, Social Issues and Societal Issues", “Economy Development Division” and "Environment Division”.
"Newest Chairman of the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG); after having been the spokesperson of the FLNKS from 2002 to 2010, in charge of the external relations of the FLNKS since 2010 and spokesperson of the FLNKS at the MSG,” PM O’Neill said.
Meanwhile, Fiji will be sending a 100 member contingent of artists, performers and musicians for the 5th Melanesian Festival of Arts and Culture in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea this week.
Government’s Director within the Department of Culture and Heritage, Peni Cavuilagi said that “the National Organising Committee based at the Fiji Arts Council had mobilised a strong contingent that included officials to represent Fiji at the festival”.
The Fijian delegation accompanied by the Permanent Secretary for iTaukei, Savenaca Kaunisela, will leave the country today ahead of the opening ceremony on Saturday.
Countries that have confirmed participation for the festival include PNG as host country, Fiji, Solomon Islands, West Papua, Timor Leste, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Torres Strait.
The 2-week festival begins on the 28th of June and ends on the 11th of July 2014.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media