- Business News : Fiji Government stands to lose $1.5b tax revenue [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : World Rugby creates access to optional domestic law trials to further reduce COVID-19 risk [29/05/2020 - Ireland]
- Sports News : PNGRFL granted conditional approval [29/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Bankruptcy looms for 512 businesses in Fiji: Survey [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG Opposition leader Namah suspended: Supreme Court [29/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Fiji PM joins global leadership call to secure finance for development in the era of COVID-19 and beyond [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Australia could include Pacific labourers in 'travel bubble' as $280m aid shake-up revealed [29/05/2020 - Australia]
- News : Winston Peters says a transtasman bubble can safely be done now [29/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Australia’s problem with Pacific aid [29/05/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : FFA calls for action to address human elements of IUU Fishing [29/05/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Pandemic is man-made, says FTUC [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Termination notice for Vanuatu's Trade Commissioner to Hongkong [29/05/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Kiribati opposition Boutokan te Koaua Party (BTK) has been told the government has decided to end its diplomatic ties with Taiwan in favour of China effective 19 September 2019.
It was told an announcement will be made to the public of the change today, 20 September.
When the current Government first came to power it promised the people of Kiribati to remain and maintain diplomatic ties with Taiwan and will never change amid speculations that time that relations with Taiwan will be cut off.
BTK is sad to say that the government has not lived up to the promise it made to the people of Kiribati to maintain diplomatic relations with Taiwan. It should have raised its desire for a change at the recent Parliament meeting. By not doing this, government has ignored and disregarded what was very important the hearts and minds of the people of Kiribati.
According to BTKs opinion, the government’s move is not right. It said government shouldn’t sever diplomatic relations with Taiwan as it is now. If there’s going to be a change, it should be decided during the upcoming elections early next year.
As a democratic country, BTK is shocked to learn that the government is rushing this change. There must be a reason BTK doesn’t know and they (government) is not ready to reveal.
SOURCE: KIRIBATI OPPOSITION/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media