- Sports News : Biggest Pacific Games team ever for Cook Islands [18/04/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News Feature : Follow the money: how foreign aid spending tells of Pacific priorities [18/04/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Cook Islands Finance Minister rejects more cash for Agriculture [18/04/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News : Vanuatu Police chief sacked [18/04/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Nauru former president regrets signing offshore processing deal with Julia Gillard [18/04/2019 - Australia]
- News : Prince William to visit Christchurch terror attack survivors next week [18/04/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Captains set for HSBC Kitakyushu Sevens in Japan [18/04/2019 - Japan]
- Sports News : Draw for U-16 & U-19 Women's championships complete [18/04/2019 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Stress, overtime, disease, contribute to 2.8 million workers’ deaths per year, reports UN labour agency [18/04/2019 - Switzerland]
- Business News : Fijian government commences national minimum wage and wages regulation review [18/04/2019 - Fiji]
- News : PNG PM O’Neill accepts resignation of Attorney General Davis Stevens [18/04/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Wale and Sogavare the two candidates confirmed for Solomon Islands prime ministerial election [18/04/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Fijian Elections Office (FEO) has modified the method for voting by persons living with disabilities in order to enable effective disability participation during this year’s polls.
Supervisor of Elections Mohammed Saneem made this announcement on Tuesday, saying the FEO had sought legal opinion for the new procedures after Parliament passed the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act and ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities earlier this year.
He said under the new procedure, persons living with disabilities had the opportunity to appoint a person of their choice to help them in marking the ballot papers.
Saneem said it would be imperative for the appointee to be a registered voter and would help the person living with disability to mark their ballot paper inside the polling station on election day or during pre-poll.
He said a presiding officer appointed by the FEO would also be overseeing the process of assistance being provided by this person selected by the voter.
“This change in the procedure is to align the FEO in accordance with the requirement of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act as well as the Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,” Saneem said.
Saneem said the FEO had consulted disabled persons organisations in relation to this procedure prior to the approval process.
“So on election day or during pre-poll, persons living with disabilities now have the opportunity to elect a person of their choice — who has to be a registered voter — to assist them in marking the ballot papers,” he said.
SOURCE: FIJI TIMES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media