- Sports News : Samoa Rugby Union advertises CEO position [16/10/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pools and schedule announced for Dubai Sevens [16/10/2019 - United Arab Emirates]
- News Feature : ‘Climate change is really upon us now’ [16/10/2019 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- News Feature : International students, Pacific Islanders plug aged care workforce gap [16/10/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Fiji Water commits to 100 percent recycled Plastic in all bottles by 2025 [16/10/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Chinese gifts for Pacific ‘friends’ [16/10/2019 - China]
- News : Obesity rates soar due to dramatic global diet shift, says UN food agency [16/10/2019 - United States]
- News : Don't be alarmed by regional projections, Met Office [16/10/2019 - Samoa]
- Business News : Fiji signs MOU for Cyclone insurance to cover most vulnerable citizens [16/10/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fresh calls against seabed mining in Cook Islands [16/10/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News : No charges laid against Fiji PM on assault allegation: DPP [16/10/2019 - Fiji]
- News : PM Sogavare: We are on the right side of history [16/10/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Fijian Elections Office (FEO) has modified the method for voting by persons living with disabilities in order to enable effective disability participation during this year’s polls.
Supervisor of Elections Mohammed Saneem made this announcement on Tuesday, saying the FEO had sought legal opinion for the new procedures after Parliament passed the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act and ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities earlier this year.
He said under the new procedure, persons living with disabilities had the opportunity to appoint a person of their choice to help them in marking the ballot papers.
Saneem said it would be imperative for the appointee to be a registered voter and would help the person living with disability to mark their ballot paper inside the polling station on election day or during pre-poll.
He said a presiding officer appointed by the FEO would also be overseeing the process of assistance being provided by this person selected by the voter.
“This change in the procedure is to align the FEO in accordance with the requirement of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act as well as the Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,” Saneem said.
Saneem said the FEO had consulted disabled persons organisations in relation to this procedure prior to the approval process.
“So on election day or during pre-poll, persons living with disabilities now have the opportunity to elect a person of their choice — who has to be a registered voter — to assist them in marking the ballot papers,” he said.
SOURCE: FIJI TIMES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media