- News : Pacific Ministers remember Marshallese Climate advocate [17/08/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Pacific CSOs issue call for peace and solidarity with Guam [17/08/2017 - Fiji]
- News : French Polynesia takes further step towards Forum membership [17/08/2017 - French Polynesia]
- News : Voters head to the polls in Cook Islands by-election [17/08/2017 - Cook Islands]
- News : Axed Solomon Islands minister speaks out [17/08/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : US airbase on Guam ready for Trump order to fight North Korea [17/08/2017 - Guam]
- News : Robust science critical in climate change projects in the region: GCF [17/08/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : More Pacific consciousness needed: Australian Ambassador for Environment [17/08/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Kiribati needs COSPPac services – Met Director [17/08/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Two children in Fiji die from dengue [17/08/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Call-out for security in Enga, SHP [17/08/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : 2019 Pacific Games evaluation visit to Samoa completed [16/08/2017 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
French public servants in overseas territories, including French Polynesia and New Caledonia, have been assured that there are no plans to cut their indexed salaries.
The minister of Public Action and Accounts Gerald Darmanin made the comment during questioning in a French Senate committee.
Indexed salaries for France's 160,000 overseas public servants vary depending on the territory and can be double the pay in France.
Figures show that the top-up in some territories is bigger than the higher cost of living than in mainland France, fuelling calls for public expenses to be adjusted accordingly.
Dermanin said he is aware of the demands but the salaries would not be altered.
The government argued that financially weak territories like Mayotte stand to gain from the additional transfer of funds into the local economy.....
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media