- News : Pacific to host 84th Extraordinary Outreach Session of the Committee on the Rights of the Child [26/01/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Six Chinese nationals quarantined in Nadi [26/01/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG, a haven for human trafficking syndicates: Report [26/01/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Lolo: Our peopleís lack of faith in govít will stall any attempt to amend political status [26/01/2020 - American Samoa]
- Business News : Official: Solwara 1 failed [26/01/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Pacific Islanders under RSE scheme now eligible for MMR vaccine [26/01/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : It is time to change the definition of refugee [26/01/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : NZ Sevens will move away from Hamilton next year but Fiji won't be hosts until 2023 [26/01/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : New Zealand wins menís and womenís sevens series title in Hamilton [26/01/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Brexit providing huge challenges for European rugby [26/01/2020 - United Kingdom]
- Sports News : NBA legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash [26/01/2020 - United States]
- Sports News : Twenty-eight captains primed for an historic HSBC New Zealand Sevens in Hamilton [25/01/2020 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Opposition MPs in the Kiribati Parliament have defeated the government's budget.
The Opposition holds a majority for the first time in three years and on Tuesday voted down the bill 26 votes to 18, with one abstention.
President Taneti Maamau had appealed to MPs to set aside political differences and pass the 2020 budget.
Its defeat comes after the High Court ruled on Monday an opposition MP could move a motion of no confidence against Maamau.
Cabinet had withdrawn an initial tabling of the budget last week, prompting Finance Minister who is also the Vice President Dr Teuea Toatu to resign in disagreement.
Three government bills were also defeated in Parliament last week.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media