- Business News : Advancing fisheries surveillance and enforcement cooperation [21/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Minister Masiu confirms citing of 150 PNG nationals in leaked international data base [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Mother and son elected in South South Bougainville [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : James Tanis humbly bows out from Bougainville presidential election [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : ANZ waives online international money transfer fees to Pacific [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : USP saga drags on [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG records nine new COVID-19 cases on Sunday,records another COVID-19 death [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Two die in in Solomon Islands bomb blast [21/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : COVID-19 illustrates ‘woefully under prepared’ world – UN health chief [21/09/2020 - United States]
- News : Toroama consolidating lead in Bougainville presidential race [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Australian supplies Guardian-class patrol boat to Palau [21/09/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Flying Fijians Coach Cotter will name Autumn Nations Cup squad soon [18/09/2020 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Opposition MPs in the Kiribati Parliament have defeated the government's budget.
The Opposition holds a majority for the first time in three years and on Tuesday voted down the bill 26 votes to 18, with one abstention.
President Taneti Maamau had appealed to MPs to set aside political differences and pass the 2020 budget.
Its defeat comes after the High Court ruled on Monday an opposition MP could move a motion of no confidence against Maamau.
Cabinet had withdrawn an initial tabling of the budget last week, prompting Finance Minister who is also the Vice President Dr Teuea Toatu to resign in disagreement.
Three government bills were also defeated in Parliament last week.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media