- Sports News : Game cancellation for Australia vs Tonga for round one of women's championships following suspected measles case [17/11/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Fiji thwart BaaBaas fightback to win Twickenham thriller [17/11/2019 - United Kingdom]
- News : Tonga PM Tu‘i‘onetoa ‘recommends’ three TBC journalists be suspended pending investigation [17/11/2019 - Tonga]
- News : Hopes pinned on Constitution to sway Cook Islands Parliamentary select committee decision on same sex ban [17/11/2019 - Cook Islands]
- News : Fiji PM tells Opposition to move on from the past, Opposition leader called on PM to resign [17/11/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Marshall Islands election may be focus for U.S-China competition [17/11/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : Agreement will see postal voting returned after Monday’s election in Marshall Islands [17/11/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : Fiji PM urges families to get their children vaccinated [17/11/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : This derelict mine caused a bloody war. Now Aussie companies are fighting over it again [17/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : New A350 Airbus will create opportunities for Fijians says AG [17/11/2019 - France]
- Business News : US$100m demand for gas project [17/11/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Vanuatu nationals engaged in canecutting pilot programme in Fiji [17/11/2019 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The opening of the 2019 Pacific Games in Samoa on the weekend was a showcase of the rich Samoan culture and heritage and heralds the start of two weeks of intensive competition by the best sports people in the region said SPTO Chief Executive, Christopher Cocker.
“The Organising Committee, Government and people of Samoa are to be commended for what I believe is one of the best Pacific Games opening Ceremony. I heard that it has been labelled as well as the miracle Pacific Games because the rain stopped just before the opening ceremony started. Thank you Samoa for bringing the Pacific people together and making us all proud at the opening ceremony! ” said Cocker.
Cocker said Samoa has made each country delegation welcome and gone the extra mile to ensure that the Games is a “Plastics free” event, “This augurs well with the role Pacific people play in the protection of the Blue Pacific which is a pillar of our common identity.”
With more than 3000 athletes participating in 26 various sports,Cocker said the Pacific Games is a boom for the Samoan economy, “As the Games not only celebrates athleticism and sportsmanship of our Pacific people but highlights the rising importance of sports tourism for our region as another means to enhancing economic prosperity, especially for the host country.”
Cocker said the hike in visitors over the two weeks of the Pacific Games will certainly boost the local commerce and tourism businesses in Samoa with athletes, support teams and their families looking to immerse in the Samoan shopping, cuisine, cultural and hospitality experience.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for Samoa to put on great showcase for visitors from the Pacific and abroad which I am certain they will accomplish very well. I take this opportunity to wish all the athletes the best in their various events and also to enjoy the hospitality of beautiful Samoa,” said Cocker.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media