- News : Victory [18/06/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Marape’s dream [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : PNG Fisheries minister keen on generating revenue [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Review of existing trade deal necessary, says PNG foreign secretary Age [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Seasonal workers programme huge employment opportunity: Prof [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Solomon Islands MP Ete questions vision and identity of the nation [17/06/2019 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Bougainville Referendum will be credible: Minister [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Arms Amendment Bill for Pacific Games, Samoa Parliament assured [17/06/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Samoa Methodist Church hands over keys to Athletes Village [17/06/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Tonga trim squad to face Kiwis at Mt Smart Stadium, Michael Jennings out [17/06/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : How Pacific nations are preparing players for State of Origin [17/06/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Papua New Guinea vows to get rich in a decade [17/06/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
More than 200 Chinese and Samoan engineers and workers have been racing with time to complete the construction and renovation of sports facilities for the upcoming 2019 Pacific Games in Apia, Samoa in July.
Speaking at the handover ceremony of the donation of 87 vehicles, sports gear and materials for firework display, Chinese Ambassador Chao Xiaoliang said last Friday that the vehicles were designated vehicles for athletes, referees and dignitaries.
He said the sports equipment was designated competition equipment for different events and firework shows will be set up at the opening and closing ceremonies.
“In a sense, all the material handed over today (Friday) are to help the Samoan government ensure a smooth and successful Pacific Games,” Chao said.
He also said China will also send several groups of technicians and experts to provide technical support for the firework display and mass games during the opening and closing ceremonies.
“Apart from these materials, more than 200 Samoan athletes and 30 chefs are now in China for training.
“Ten Chinese dance teachers are in Samoa training performers to get ready for the mass games to be shown in the opening and closing ceremonies.
Chao said last year, Prime Minister Tuilaepa met with Chinese President Xi Jinping twice in Beijing and the other in PNG.
The two leaders agreed to lift China-Samoa relations to comprehensive strategic partnership of mutual respect and common development, ushering a new chapter in bilateral ties.
The Chinese people believe that “a friend in need is a friend indeed”.
“Samoa is China’s good friend and reliable partner in the Pacific.
So when the Samoan government asked China for help, the chinese side attached great importance to it and made it one of our top priorities to provide assistance and support to the Samoan side within the best of our ability.
Thanks to the joint efforts and close coordination of our two sides, all the Pacific Games-related assistance projects and materials have been progressing in the fastest and most efficient manner,” Chao said.
SOURCE: POST COURIER/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media