- News : 10 former Vanuatu MPs free on parole [27/04/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Pacific Islands Forum to Observe the 2017 Niue Election [27/04/2017 - Niue]
- News : Trade guide shines light on bad deal: PANG [27/04/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Big gains for Pacific countries in PACER Plus - Kessie [27/04/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Fekita thanks Pacific support as she prepares to take up her UN role [27/04/2017 - Tonga]
- News : Biman 'removed' as shadow minister for Economy [27/04/2017 - Fiji]
- News : 2614 candidates to contest PNG election [27/04/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Kiribati Environment Minister abused power: Anti-Corruption Committee [27/04/2017 - Kiribati]
- News : Dengue fever outbreak in Nauru hits 10 per cent of asylum seekers [27/04/2017 - Nauru]
- News : New Caledonia's Gomes backs Macron, Temaru hails low voter turnout in Tahiti [27/04/2017 - New Caledonia]
- News : Samoa tops Pacific in press freedom index [26/04/2017 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Olympic gold-winning coach Ben Ryan joins board of Pacific Rugby Players Welfare [26/04/2017 - United Kingdom]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
“The sustainable development goals is everyone’s responsibility.”
This was echoed by the President of the United Nations General Assembly – Ambassador Peter Thomson.
Speaking at a public lecture at the University of the South Pacific (USP), Thomson called on students to get involved in implementing Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with ocean health a key component.
“We must all be a part of driving the transformation to sustainability, I’m therefore calling on each of you today to join with m e and the rest of the global activist community in driving the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.”
At the core of all 17 SDGs, Ambassador Thomson explained was the issue of climate change which is a considerable concern to the region given the degradation of resources, in particular our oceans.
The UNGA President explained that part of the lobbying by the UN is crowd sourcing to humanity.
Ambassador Thomson is in Fiji to attend the high level preparatory Pacific meeting in the lead up to the UN Oceans Conference in New York in June….
SOURCE: FBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media