- News Feature : Joint statement from the USP Academic and USP Staff Union on the cessation of Fiji's funding towards USP [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Why are there unexploded bombs in the Pacific islands? [25/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Sports News : Tonga Rugby Union in danger of being relegated to World Rugby tier three [25/09/2020 - Tonga]
- News : Bougainville President elect Toroama sworn in [25/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Vanuatu Pacer Plus ratification imminent [25/09/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News : We mus feel the international solidarity against climate change- PM Bainimarama [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : At UN, island nation of Palau speaks to interconnected world [25/09/2020 - Palau]
- News : UN chief and UK premier announce December climate summit [25/09/2020 - United States]
- News : If world handles climate like COVID-19, UN chief says: 'I fear the worst' [25/09/2020 - United States]
- News : Fiji Government says USP issue is not to be resolved via the media [25/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Land and Titles Court opponents “not Samoan”: PM Tuilaepa [25/09/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Westpac bank to pay record Australian fine over laundering breaches [24/09/2020 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Kiribati's Parliament has been closed by the Speaker, quashing plans by the Opposition to oust the government.
The Opposition, which held a majority in the House, was to move a motion of no confidence against the president before Parliament's end on Friday.
But in an abrupt move on Thursday morning, the Speaker, Tebuai Uaai, declared the last session of Parliament for the year over.
The High Court ruled on Monday that the speaker's blocking of a motion of no confidence last month was illegal, and that it must be heard in Parliament.
The Opposition has been bolstered by discontent over the government's recognition of China, which led several MPs to defect to a new party.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media