- Sports News : Dream Fijian 7s selection for Volivoli [21/02/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Strengthening leadership capacity critical for nurses and midwives in the Pacific [20/02/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : PNG Commerce Minister Duma denies Horizon Oil Company allegations [20/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Travel between Torres Strait Islands and PNG banned due to fears over coronavirus [20/02/2020 - Australia]
- News : South Korea added to Samoa's coronavirus restriction list [20/02/2020 - Samoa]
- News : Tropical Cyclone Vicky heading towards Niue [20/02/2020 - Niue]
- Sports News : Tim Mikkelson selected for milestone tournament [20/02/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Olympic hopeful proud to fly Samoan flag [20/02/2020 - Samoa]
- News : ANU security expert calls for 'grand compact' with Pacific nations [20/02/2020 - Australia]
- News : Solomon Islands Government loan deal from China exposed [20/02/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : PM Marape attends roundtable discussions at the Israel-Pacific Island Leadersí Summit [20/02/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Vanuatu MPsí allowances under spotlight [20/02/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Prime Minister of Tonga, 'Akilisi Pohiva, has been rushed to hospital in Auckland with pneumonia.
Pohiva, who was in Auckland for treatment for a liver condition earlier this year, became unwell after returning from the Pacific Islands Forum meeting in Tuvalu several weeks ago.
He had been in hospital in Nuku'alofa for the past two weeks but doctors on Wednesday decided he needed medical evacuation to Auckland.
A spokesperson for the prime minister described his condition as "very serious".
The acting Prime Minister, Semisi Sika, said in a statement that he was urging the people to remember Pohiva in their prayers.
He said the government was looking forward to welcoming him home in good health in the very near future.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media