- Business News : Cook Islands cleared of tax haven stigma [24/02/2020 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : Fiji Hotel and Tourism Association raises concern about unregulated AirBnB [24/02/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Cronulla Sharks, clubs express interest in PNG match after trial success [24/02/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Cronulla Sharks exploring the Pacific [24/02/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Tonga 7s seal spot in World Series Qualifier [24/02/2020 - Tonga]
- News : PNG's PM warns of risk in deciding on Bougainville too soon [24/02/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : NZ Prime Minister accorded a traditional welcoming ceremony in Fiji [24/02/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Former Kiribati president weighs in on proposal for Grand Compact for Pacific [24/02/2020 - Kiribati]
- News : USD$100b proposed loan surprises China officials in Solomon Islands [24/02/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Building together: Civil society a key partner in delivering Pacific infrastructure [24/02/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Pacific Labour Scheme: Beefing up Australia’s meat industry [24/02/2020 - Australia]
- Business News : Deal deadlock threatens plans to double PNG gas production [24/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Reports from Indonesia's Papua region say more than 40 West Papuans were arrested during the visit by the Melanesian Spearhead Group in Jayapura.
The MSG Foreign Ministers made a fleeting visit to the Papua provincial capital and has brief meetings with the Governor and the Papua regional legislature.
However, Tabloid Jubi reports that dozens of activists were arrested by Indonesian police outside the legislature for demonstrating against the lack of access that the West Papuans have been granted to the MSG.
This comes after Vanuatu's government withdrew from the mission, saying it felt Indonesia was not allowing the foreign ministers access to the people who the MSG sought to meet.
The visit is part of an effort to vet a formal bid for MSG membership by the West Papua National Coalition for Liberation.
The head of the MSG delegation, Fiji's foreign minister Ratu Inoke Kubuabola, has rebuffed the separatists' aspirations, saying the ministers fully respect Indonesia's sovereignty and territorial integrity and further recognise that West Papua is an integral part of Indonesia.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media