- News : Fii ready to facilitate commercial imports of PNG Ox & Palm corned beef [24/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Preparations for next Pacific Literacy and Numeracy Assessment underway [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : IUCN launches 2017 Energy Small Grants Programme [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : Tongan Government needs to find real solutions to the country's economic problems [23/03/2017 - Tonga]
- Business News : Fiji Airways, Tourism Fiji Enhance Partnership [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Melanesian nations question global responses to climate change [23/03/2017 - Australia]
- News : PNG Electoral Commissioner warns intending candidates to follow poll regulation [23/03/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Commonwealth calls for urgent agreement on harmful fishing subsidies [23/03/2017 - Switzerland]
- News Feature : OP-ED: The Role of Regionalism in Financing Development in the Pacific [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Not a pretty picture: the climate-change threat faced by a small island nation [23/03/2017 - Tuvalu]
- Business News : Tax change for foreign firms in Fiji [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : Sugarcane farmers' petition in Fiji disallowed [23/03/2017 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
A Russian monarchist says the Kiribati government has agreed to allow three uninhabited islands in the Southern Line Islands to become the site of a revived Romanov empire.
Anton Bakov, a businessman and the founder of Russia's Monarchist Party, said the project involved setting up the capital on Malden Island, where he planned to build hotels.
The proposed empire also includes Caroline Island and Starbuck Island.
Bakov, who used to be a parliamentarian, visited Kiribati last year, and claimed the government had approved the establishment of the empire on its territory.
He has reportedly also been in talks with Montenegro to get land for a royal state.
A German noble, Prince Karl Emich of Leiningen, who is a great-great-grandson of Russia's Alexander II, converted to the Russian Orthodox Church four years ago to be able to accede to the throne.
The prince assumed the name Nikolai Kirillovich in a bid to become Emperor Nicholas III in the Russian monarchy, which was overthrown during the 1917 Bolshevik revolution.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media