- Sports News : Pacific Islanders eye team in Super Rugby [14/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Meet the newly-appointed Director-General for Fiji’s National Security Council [14/07/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji Airways further extends flight cancellations to end of August [14/07/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : A shared vision for self-determination: the PNA story in print [14/07/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Cook Islands' plea for Pacific travel bubble with New Zealand [14/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Fiji Catholic Church says no reports of sexual abuse against children [14/07/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Telecom Niue CEO assures the Manatua cable service will be delivered ASAP despite delays [14/07/2020 - Niue]
- Business News : Private sector calls for regional action on COVID-19 economic impact [14/07/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Spend with care says Vanuatu Reserve Bank governor as economy in for more troubled times [14/07/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Business News : For the sake of jobs, its time for Palau to diversify [14/07/2020 - Palau]
- News : Pacific bubble: Flights to Rarotonga to be announced next week [14/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Big motorcade escorts first repatriated Tongans into quarantine [14/07/2020 - Tonga]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The 2020 Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships scheduled for the 27th of May to the 6th of June has been cancelled after consultation with Rugby Australia over the last month.
Extended travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to numerous countries, and concerns over adequate player preparation time, mean that any sort of cross-border international rugby competition cannot be hosted in the next few months.
In a statement last week World Rugby said all decision-making will be entirely contingent on national government travel, quarantine and health advice.
“All parties, including member unions, international competitions, professional club competitions and International Rugby Players, will be involved in the evaluation of potential contingency options with a view to achieving an aligned calendar for the remainder of the year,” it said.
Monitoring of the potential impact on the remaining 2020 international windows continues in collaboration with international rugby stakeholders and the respective authorities.
The Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships was scheduled to be hosted at Bond University in Queensland Australia with New Zealand, Fiji, Japan and host-nation Australia competing for the regional title.
World Rugby has also announced the cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championships that was to be hosted in Italy for July this year.
SOURCE: OCEANIA RUGBY/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media