- Sports News : Fiji and Samoa join World Rugby Council meeting in Dublin [23/05/2019 - United Kingdom]
- Sports News : Athletics PNG names Samoa Pacific Games Squad [23/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : U.S assures FSM, Marshall Islands and Palau it will defend them against outside threats [23/05/2019 - United States]
- News : Work on Niue’s new parliament stalled over land lease issues and court injunction by Opposition MP [23/05/2019 - Niue]
- News : Fiji and EU committed to strengthening relations [23/05/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Tourism on the rise in Papua New Guinea [23/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : President says Marshall Islands facing pressure from China [23/05/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : Cook Islands and New Zealand to hold 7th Joint Ministerial Forum in Aitutaki [23/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : PNG to support Solomon Islands bid for 2023 Pacific Games [22/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Fiji's World Cup preparations dealt a blow as coach cut from staff [22/05/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Development of women in rugby is the single greatest opportunity for our sport to grow in the next decade' [22/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Trump meets Pacific islands leaders to boost U.S ties [22/05/2019 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Government of Vanuatu has appointed Laura Lini as special envoy for West Papua.
Laura is the daughter of Walter Lini, the founding father of the Pacific Island republic.
“We are pleased and impressed, and thank Foreign Minister Regenvanu for the appointment at this pivotal moment in our struggle,” said Jacob Rumbiak ULMWP spokesperson.
“Melanesian sovereignty runs deep in the veins of all ni-Vanuatu, and especially in Laura’s family. In the 1970s both West Papua and Vanuatu were struggling for their independence. Vanuatu got there first and it was Laura’s father, as Prime Minister, who pledged not to abandon West Papua or the Kanak of New Caledonia. He acknowledged our kinship and he promised solidarity with our struggle. Now, with this appointment of his daughter to our cause, we are reaping the harvest of his sagacity.
“We know that Indonesia’s efforts to dissever this loyalty has caused much suffering in Vanuatu. We know that the government has used millions of dollars, money so badly needed by its own impoverished citizens, to disrupt your political institutions, to tear families apart, to wreck the lives of good and capable people. But we know that your ancestors are from our homeland and that your chiefs would never abandon us; and that our faith and your faith in God’s preference for justice, peace, and love will, ultimately, prevail.
“There is now just one more river to cross before West Papua rejoins the international community of nations, and that is to be listed on the UN Decolonisation Agenda. Laura’s life will be busy and stressful, maybe, sometimes, overwhelming. But with her passion and dedication lending strength to the determination of all West Papuans to be free, we will succeed in getting the job done. Then we will return her to her family and her country with the gratitude of a proud and independent nation,” Rumbiak said.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media