- News Feature : Facing epidemic of amputations and death, Pacific Islanders fighting diabetes [26/05/2019 - French Polynesia]
- Business News : PNG Government agencies put on notice [26/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Sir Julius Chan says he is not acting Prime Minister [26/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : PM must resign now: Marape [26/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Low turnout in French territories for EU elections [26/05/2019 - New Caledonia]
- News : Marise Payne reappointed Australia's Foreign Affairs Minister [26/05/2019 - Australia]
- Sports News : Fiji crowned champions in London [26/05/2019 - United Kingdom]
- Sports News : Fiji with England, Ireland and Argentina in Paris [26/05/2019 - United Kingdom]
- News Feature : Health ministers focus on the needs of the most vulnerable [26/05/2019 - Switzerland]
- News Feature : Torres Strait Islanders ask UN to hold Australia to account on climate ‘human rights abuses [26/05/2019 - Australia]
- Business News : Cook Islands targets gold standard for tuna products [26/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : Faleolo International Airport uses first aerobridge [26/05/2019 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
John Patteson Oti has been elected the new Speaker of the Solomon Islands parliament by MPs today.
Oti is a former foreign affairs minister and more recently served as the country's ambassador to Fiji.
There were 48 secret ballots cast, 30 were in favour of Oti, 15 went to the only other nominee and former speaker Ajilon Jasper Nasiu.
Three ballots were spoilt and two MPs were absent.
Only one nominee was put forward for the deputy speaker's post, Stanley Festus Sofu, the MP for East Kwaio.
At the end of today's session the prime minister Manasseh Sogavare is to seek a special adjournment of parliament until 4 June.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media