- News Feature : A growing to-do list for Manu Tupou-Roosen beneath that tropical exterior is a steely resolve to get the work done and an attitude that no challenge is unsurmountable [19/07/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : This island nation is making the fastest-ever shift to renewables [19/07/2018 - Palau]
- Business News : PNG National Executive Council should take a step back, says ADB [19/07/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Proposed Anti-Corruption bill in Solomon Island considers giving or accepting gifts under customary practices as a defence against corruption [19/07/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Why the Cook Islands fears rich-country status [19/07/2018 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : Digital TV channel for Samoa government programmes [19/07/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : PNG landowners missing out from tuna company that stays in the red [19/07/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Indonesia appreciates Micronesia`s commitment to respect its territorial integrity [19/07/2018 - Indonesia]
- News : China ‘forces airline out of business’ as Palau maintains links with Taiwan [19/07/2018 - Palau]
- News : US claims better development finance terms than China [19/07/2018 - United States]
- News : No change after Mauke recount in Cook Islands election [19/07/2018 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : Captains set for Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018 [19/07/2018 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Papua New Guinea
Some 80% of Papua New Guinea's people live in rural areas with few or no facilities.
Many tribes in the isolated mountainous interior have little contact with each other, let alone with the outside world, and live within a non-monetarised economy, dependent on subsistence agriculture.
A very small proportion of the land can sustain cash crops, including coffee and cocoa. Abundant rainforests provide the raw material for a logging industry, which is dominated by Malaysian-owned companies. Conservation groups have criticised the social and environmental impact of the activity.
Mineral deposits - including gold, copper and nickel - are extensive, but the difficult terrain and poor infrastructure make exploitation slow. There are significant reserves of oil and natural gas and the country has pinned its hopes on becoming a significant energy exporter.
The separatist struggle in the neighbouring Indonesian province of Papua, formerly known as Irian Jaya, prompted the flight of thousands of Papuans into Papua New Guinea from the mid-1980s onwards. Many of them remain in border-area jungle camps.
The Port Moresby government has said it will not tolerate the use of Papua New Guinean territory for Papuan separatist attacks on the Indonesian army.
Papua New Guinea had to deal with separatist forces of its own on the island of Bougainville in the 1990s. Up to 20,000 people were killed in the nine-year conflict which ended in 1997.
A peace deal signed in 2001 provided the framework for the election in 2005 of an autonomous government for Bougainville.
Papua New Guinea has strong ties with its southern neighbour, Australia, which administered the territory until independence in 1975. Canberra's substantial aid programme aims to relieve poverty and to boost development; Australia has also despatched police officers and civil servants to support their local equivalents.
The prevalence of HIV/Aids is on the rise; some experts fear that Papua New Guinea is heading for a crisis similar to that in sub-Saharan Africa.
Additional information Full name: The Independent State of Papua New Guinea Population: 6.3 million (UN, 2007) Capital: Port Moresby Area: 462,840 sq km (178,704 sq miles) Major languages: English (official), Pidgin, native languages Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: 1 kina = 100 toea Main exports: Gold, petroleum, copper, coffee, palm oil, logs
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media