- News : Samoan Government responds to U.S visa decision [22/01/2018 - Samoa]
- Business News : BSP sets footprints in South East Asia [21/01/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Palestine, Israel, the US, and How the South Pacific Countries Are Selling Their Votes [21/01/2018 - United States]
- News Feature : Shinzo Abe's ambitious Indo-Pacific agenda [21/01/2018 - Japan]
- Sports News : Banned substance alertness heightened in Samoa after Sipaia’s case [21/01/2018 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Yamagata City inks pact with Samoa Government [21/01/2018 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Hunters back in training [21/01/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Jacinda Ardern on baby news: 'I'll be Prime Minister and a mum' [18/01/2018 - New Zealand]
- News : Tongan PM and MPs sworn in [18/01/2018 - Tonga]
- News : Samoa, Haiti and Belize nationals no longer eligible for temporary US Work Visas [18/01/2018 - United States]
- Business News : Bougainville Copper Ltd has Panguna mine licence bid rejected following landowner divisions [18/01/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : BRED and ANZ banks announce interchange agreement [18/01/2018 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - New Caledonia
A French overseas territory in the Pacific, New Caledonia has seen deep divisions between its indigenous and European populations, notably over the thorny question of independence.
But as the European population burgeoned, tensions - often over the loss of land - rose between the incomers and the indigenous Melanesians, known as Kanaks. A Kanak revolt in 1878 claimed more than 1,000 lives and heralded further repression by the French rulers.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: New Caledonia Population: 230,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Noumea Area: 18,575 sq km Major languages: French (official), Melanesian and Polynesian dialects Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: Pacific franc Main exports: Nickel, prawns
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media