- Sports News : Seruvakula names strong Fiji Drua team to face Perth Spirit [21/09/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Climate change requires most urgent mitigation measures, African leaders tell UN Assembly [21/09/2017 - United States]
- News Feature : Tackling climate change in Vanuatu [21/09/2017 - Vanuatu]
- Business News : PNG PM backs ExxonMobil [21/09/2017 - United States]
- Business News : PNG government exits Oil Search share register [21/09/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : At UN Assembly, Pacific small islands urge collective action against climate change impacts [21/09/2017 - United States]
- News : Pacific Islands Forum Chair highlights priorities for the Blue Pacific at the United Nations [21/09/2017 - United States]
- News : North Korea threatens H-bomb detonation in Pacific [21/09/2017 - Korea, Republic of]
- News Feature : Courage needed to stop sexual abuse epidemic in Samoa [21/09/2017 - Samoa]
- News Feature : Pacific governments commit to advance early childhood development to provide the best start to life for all children [21/09/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : IFC-led survey reveals value of PNG’s Tourism sector [21/09/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Nauru President calls on North Korea to have dialogue with disputing countries in the Korean Peninsula [21/09/2017 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Cook Islands
A former British protectorate, the territory is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand.
Its economy centres on tourism; the territory's natural assets include fine beaches and volcanic mountains.
More than twice as many native Cook Islanders live in New Zealand than live in the islands themselves. Most of them have left in search of a brighter economic future. As New Zealand citizens they can also live in Australia.
The government has encouraged islanders to return. Businesses have been involved in the drive. But the population level has continued to fall.
Black pearls are the chief export. Agriculture, the sale of fishing licences to foreign fleets and offshore finance are also key revenue earners.
The Cook Islands are prone to tropical storms; Hurricane Martin devastated the northern islands in 1997 causing substantial losses for the black pearl industry.
Named after Captain Cook, who explored them in 1773, the islands were once autonomous, home to tribes of mixed Polynesian ancestry. Governments still seek advice on matters of culture, custom and land ownership from a council of hereditary leaders known as the House of Ariki.
Additional information Full name: Cook Islands Population: 18,000 (UN, 2004) Capital: Avarua, on Rarotonga Area: 237 sq km (91 sq miles) Major languages: English and Cook Islands Maori Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 New Zealand dollar ($NZ) = 100 cents Main exports: Black pearls
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media